Job Title: Communications Specialist
Immediate Supervisor: Communications Director
Location: Brooklyn Center
Starting Salary: $55,000
PURPOSE: UFCW Local 663 is seeking a Communications Specialist who can use social media and other tools to help deepen and build worker organizing. The ideal candidate will have both an organizer’s mindset and strong technical skills in social media, texting, multimedia, databases, and spreadsheets to bring in new supporters and lead people up a ladder of engagement. The Communications Specialist will be part of the Communications Department and will need to collaborate well with all parts of our representation and organizing teams. Position is based in Brooklyn Center with semi-regular travel within the state.
- Support engagement of UFCW Local 663 membership and organizing new members using digital tools and relevant social media platforms;
- Engage and communicate with workers through all communication channels, including answering chats and calls from workers;
- Create content to support Union values, mission, contract campaigns and organizing campaigns;
- Maintain progress reports;
- Support the day-to-day operations of UFCW Local 663 communications as needed;
- Create and manage a database and/or spreadsheets to track engagement for program evaluation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Examples above provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in this classification.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Prior experience working on union organizing campaigns is an asset
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) is strongly preferred
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Basic understanding of labor law and the unionization process
- Ability and willingness to use social media platforms such as: Facebook, Instagram, and others, to promote our Union and its campaigns
- Experience in field or online organizing, political campaigns, and/or public relations and marketing
- Excellent writer, able to write concisely, clearly and quickly
- Graphic design experience
- Willingness to learn and explore new tools
- Flexibility to react quickly to changing circumstances
- Demonstrated passion for workers’ rights and social justice, believes in the mission of our Union
- A Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma is preferred but not required
Must pass a pre-employment background check and reference check. We offer a competitive salary and great benefits. We offer a starting salary of $55,000, car allowance, health benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, sick days, pension, life insurance, and cell phone/phone stipend.
Resumés and cover letters should be sent to Office Coordinator, Rosemary Luoma, at: firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day Friday, December 1, 2023.